Back in October, I wrote a piece on Medium that covered the numbers behind some of today's top social media networks.
From usage numbers to engagement statistics, it was incredible to see just how impactful networks such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram have become. For example, not only is Facebook home to 1.23 billion daily active users on average, but those users come from all over the world -- with 85.2% residing outside of the U.S. and Canada. That's a crazy level of connectivity.
As I put together the post, it became obvious just how fast these networks were growing -- and I thought a lot about how hard is it to keep up with all of these changes, especially for marketers. To make things a little easier to wrap your head around, I put together a simplified list of some standout statistics for Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instragram, and Pinterest. Check them out below if you're looking for some guidance for your social media strategy this year.
34 Stats to Help You Plan Your Social Media Strategy on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & More
- Organic reach of Facebook Page post is 2%.
- The average post reach of total audience is 10.71%.
- Facebook Page videos generate 16% more engagement per post than images.
- Videos secured the most reach, at 12.17% of total audience, followed by photos (11.53%), links (9.32%) and status updates (5.09%).
- Ideal length of a status update: 40 characters.
- 0.80% median viral reach per fan for post with hashtags, 1.30% for post without hashtags.
- Facebook posts with images see 2.3X more engagement than those without images.
- Tweets with images receive 18% more clickthroughs, 89% more Likes, and 150% more retweets.
- 60% of consumers expect brands to respond to their query within the hour, but the average is 1 hour 24 minutes.
- Ideal tweet length: 100 characters.
- Clickthrough rate is highest on Wednesdays.
- Tweet that doesn’t include a # or @ mention will generate 23% more clicks. When the tweet is focused on driving an app install, for going a # or @ mention increases clicks by 11%. But according to Quicksprout, tweets with hashtags get 2X more engagement -- clicks, retweets, favorites, and replies.
- B2B buyers are turning to LinkedIn for content that will help them move forward in the buyer's journey -- and 57% are doing so on a mobile device.
- LinkedIn is home to 467 million members in more than 200 countries, meaning it's a great place for global brands to distribute content.
- LinkedIn has studied its own platform and found that including images in posts increases the comment rate by 98%.
- Updates containing links can have up to 45% higher follower engagement than updates without links.
- 16–25 words is the ideal message length for B2B, 21–25 for B2C.
- 20 posts per month can help you reach 60% of your unique audience.
- On average, people miss 70% of their feeds.
- 1.1% average engagement rate of all posts (4.2% in 2014; 2.2% in 2015).
- Images with a single dominant color generate 17% more Likes than images with multiple dominant colors. Images with a high amount of negative space generate 29% more Likes than those with minimal negative space. Images featuring blue as the dominant color generate 24% more Likes than images that are predominantly red.
- Photos showing faces get 38% more Likes than photos not showing faces.
- Photos see more engagement than videos on Instagram.
- The red heart is the most frequently shared emoji on Instagram, which is shared 79% more than the next most popular symbol, a smiling face with heart eyes.
- 50% of captions and comments on Instagram contain at least one emoji.
- The most common posting frequency for brands on Instagram is 11–20 times per month.
- Instagram audiences are more engaged on Mondays and Thursdays at 2 a.m., 8–9 a.m., and 5 p.m.
- Product Pins with prices get 36% more likes than those without.
- 67% of Pinners consult Pins on their mobile devices while shopping in stores.
- Don’t be shy to ask : A call-to-action Pin description can increase engagement by 80%.
- 83% of users would rather follow a brand than a celebrity.
- Active Pinners have a 9% higher average income than non-users.
- Users who Pin 15 to 30 times a day get the best results.
- 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. to 1 p.m. are the best time to post, and Saturday is the best day.
What networks are you most interested in investing in this year? Share your thoughts in the comments.
from HubSpot Marketing Blog https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/plan-social-media-strategy-stats